Friday, 16 November 2012

Easy Basil Pesto Recipe

Nothing beats fresh basil pesto! Especially if the ingredients come from your own garden! This Spring I planted my first herb pots to use in the kitchen. The coriander is almost gone, the parsley grew a little slower and is still going but the basil... It has a mind of its own. The basil looks luscious and green and the scent just takes over the kitchen! It's Divine...
Tonight I made a fresh basil pesto and here is my simple recipe...

What you'll need:

1/4 cup pine nuts
2 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups loosely packed basil leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese

Method:

Place pine nuts, garlic, salt and half the basil in food processor, and process until basil is roughly chopped.
Add remaining basil and process, using a spatula to scrape down the side of the bowl occasionally, until all the basil is finely chopped and the mixture is well combined.
Gradually add the oil, scraping down the side of the bowl occasionally, until all the oil has combined well and the mixture has formed a paste.
Stir in the Parmesan.
Add to meal or store in an air tight container or jar for up to 3 days. You can pour a thin layer of olive oil over the top of the pesto to prevent it from discolouring.
The End.

12 comments:

  1. Yum, this looks lovely. Basil is one of the few things i have trouble growing. I think in Tassie you really need a greenhouse for it to be successful. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a shame! My plants have been standing outside during sunny days and I'd bring them in of a night as our weather has been a little unpredictable also... Would they work if you grew them indoors? Perhpas next to a window sill so that they still cathc the suns rays.
      xo

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious. What are you going to use your pesto in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking a chicken pasta with the pesto... Fingers crossed Sunny gives me the thumbs up but somehow I don't think that's going to happen!

      Delete
  3. Yum, I love pesto. Haven't made it for a very long time, years. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tastes great too! Much better than stuff in jars!

      Delete
  4. Yum! I have just bought a basil plant!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love cooking with it! My next venture is to plant Rosemary.

      Delete
  5. Oh my I love basil pesto, it's so delicious in everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this recipe! So easy and yummy! If only my daughter had my taste!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE pesto! And it's even better when made with home grown produce. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a coincidence I just made pesto last night and it was yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment...

Sophie xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...