Wednesday, 30 October 2013

A Sunhat and Sorbet...


The warmer weather is settling in. Every now and then we experience such warm days that it frightens me to think that it's only Spring... What will Summer bring?! Summer in Australia is HOT, HOT, HOT! Any time spent outside (if you're brave enough to tackle the 40 degree Celsius heat) must be done so safely. A sunhat is a must as well as sunblock... Plenty of it.

Sunny has been going through a growth spurt of late. She's stretched out like a long dangly noodle and hardly fits into any of her clothes. I have slowly been sewing a few Summer Staples and have a few more patterns itching to be cut out. She needs a hat. I wanted something with a wide brim that will hide her face and neck while we play in the sun, go for our evening walks and to take on our beach holiday come January. So instead of trawling the stores for a suitable hat I thought that I would whip out one of my many sewing books and make her one. I settled on the Bucket Hat in the Oliver + S: Little Things to Sew by Liesel Gibson. I love that the hat is reversible and the stack in the book just made me want to make a whole bunch of 'em in every colour of the rainbow...

Th pattern itself and instructions were so easy to follow but do you think I read through them properly? Noooooo.... I learnt the hard way. You see I'm a ''need to sew it quick 'cause I'm so excited'' kind of gal. I forgot to snip the side pieces so that they would fit perfectly when attaching it to the crown, so I had some puckering of the material. I did however remember to snip the brim to fit the rest of the hat - Kuddo's to me! The fabric I chose complements one another and looks great either way and if you're wondering where I got that from, it's quilting fabric from Spotlight.


The actual hat didn't end up fitting Sunny :( which is such a shame because it turned out so well! I made it in the largest size with her head measuring 21" but it turns out she needs a little more space. So back to the drawing board for me to make the pattern a little larger. I might actually add a few more centimetres to the brim to make it that little bit wider...

And what is a warm Spring day without something to cool you down?!


Some Homemade Mixed Berry Sorbet... Delicious and nutritious! Find the recipe here. I used mixed berried this time around as it was all I had.

How do you keep cool in the warmer months?

13 comments:

  1. Wow ! The hat looks fabulous, I'm impressed. I might have to come over and get you to show me how to make some. How's friday sound to you ...... Sis :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on down! I actually need your help on some bags :)

      Delete
    2. The hat looks great! Did you end up trying to make mango sorbet?

      Delete
    3. No... I just stuck with this raspberry one but I did find an apple recipe that I want to try next :)

      Delete
  2. I love that hat, I really need to dust of the sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne :) Do so, your little girl will love this hat...

      Delete
  3. That sorbet looks amazing!!! And the hat...Awesome!!! I am so impressed! Happy warm days to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How amazingly clever are you!! Both look fabulous! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta Jody :) Clever? Not too sure about that one but I will give things a go...

      Delete
  5. Mmmmm the berry sorbet looks good! I'm a bit fan of chilling out in the shade (or the air conditioning) when it's hot out.

    Cheers,
    Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous 'summery' goodness here Sophie. I love the bucket hat design and the fabric you chose is great too. I'm about to pop over and check out the 'Oliver + S' sewing book. Millie desperately needs a new hat too. The one she has leaves a red mark around her head these days!!! Your comment about 'needing to sew it quick, cause I'm an excited gal' made me laugh too :) I hope your week is a lovely one. Melinda x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I could certainly do with some sorbet!! Yum.

    I actually have a very similar looking bucket hat that I wear while walking on hot days

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment...

Sophie xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...